It was always planned that the Leeds & Liverpool Canal should have a direct link to the docks and the River Mersey. The Stanley Dock branch of the canal was added in 1846 when the expansion of the railway disrupted the canals original route to Old Hall Street and the Princes Dock area. The four locks on this branch are large enough to allow the Liverpool flats access to the canal. It is from this terminus that the canal link will join canal to the South Docks. The locks were designed and supervised by Jesse Hartley, the stone work is typical of Hartley's docks. The original plan was to have the country's (and world's) first integrated dock, canal and railway depot. Instead two warehouses were built where the docks would have been. In 1900 the large tobacco warehouse was built on half of Stanley Dock. Liverpool's Collingwood Dock is reached via Stanley Dock.
Originally there was a bridge over the junction so horses could walk straight over the Stanley Dock Branch. This bridge has been partially demolished and now only carries a gas pipeline over the junction. The sides of the bridge and the central island remain.
Side of the former junction bridge
At lock number 1 looking towards the main line
the start of the Stanley Dock Branch
the top gates on the top lock of the branch
Winding the paddles
A square hole in the lock
Under the viaduct looking towards the docks
Lock Gate Paddle Winding Gear
Leaving the locks
Looking up the locks towards the railway viaduct
The tobacco warehouse in stanley dock over looks the locks.
From Locks to Docks
The sloping concrete wall is the blocked off entrance to the Bridgewater Basin
Stanley Dock Depot
where canal meets docks
Stanley Dock Depot looking up towards the mainline
Leaving the Canal
Entering the Dock
Towards the Canal Entrance
Stanley Dock is similar in design to Albert Dock. However Stanley Dock is almost completely empty, its warehouses stand unused. Half the dock was filled in and the huge tobacco warehouse was built on it at the turn of the 20th century.